Monday, May 2, 2011

Any man's death diminishes all men

Why did Obama's chest beating gestures about "gittin'" Osama bin Laden leave me cold?

Why did the hair on the back of my neck not rise, and why did I not stand and sing the Star Spangled Banner after Obama's statement May 1?

Because, in my opinion, destruction of a human life is always an undesirable solution.

I cannot gloat over Osama bin Laden's death, as do millions of Americans at this time. While I seek to avoid judging them and their motives, I am, quite obviously, in a differing place, spiritually and philosophically, than are they.

English metaphysical poet John Doone wrote, "Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

I agree with Doone.

D. Grant Haynes